Jessica Grace Bechtel
Creative, problem-solving, adaptable artist with ten years of hands on experience creating exhibits, making original art work, collaborating with, training and mananging artists in both public and private institutions.
FINE ARTS 2002 - Present
• Created hundreds of original art works in oils, watercolor, colored pencil and mixed media.
• Developed business website (www.jessicagraceart.com), print media, and social media to publicize art exhibitions, new works, events and press.
• Paintings and Drawings featured in permanent public and private collections.
• Exhibited in over 20 group exhibitions both regionally and nationally.
• Showed paintings as featured artist in 5 solo shows.
• Successfully cultivated and sustain relationships with Galleries, Curators, Collectors and other artists.
• A Featured artist in regional and national print.
• Only: The Essex Studios, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2011
• Solo Show: The Carnegie (Connector Gallery), Covington, Kentucky, 2009
• Disentangle: The Speckled Bird Café, Norwood, Ohio, 2009
• Modest Growth: Enjoy the Arts Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2007
• Handfuls of Something: Risch Gallery (now Zaum), Ft. Thomas, Kentucky, 2004
• Solo Show: The Carnegie (Duveneck Gallery), Covington, Kentucky, 2003
- Hummingbirds, Pop Up Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2016
• AAC Alumni Exhibit: Pearlman & Convergys Galleries, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2011
• Raw Walls: JBar Studios, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2010
• Presence: Atrium, College Hill Presbyterian Church, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2009
• In the Flesh: Bromwell's Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2009
• Classical Realism: Sandra Small Gallery, Covington, Kentucky, 2009
• Mythography: Manifest Research Gallery and Creative Drawing Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2009
• Art Comes Alive: Art Design Consultants, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio, 2007
• Figure: Dicere Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio2007
• It’s in Your Head- Approaches to Likeness: Manifest Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2007
• Interpreting the Figure: Fawick Gallery, Berea, Ohio, 2007
• Summer School: Heineman Myers|contemporary art, Bethesda, Maryland, 2006
• Face It: Gallery Salveo, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006
• The Real & The Abstract: 537 Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006
• Drawn From Life- The Open Figure Sessions: Manifest Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006
• Friends & Strangers: Global Lead Art Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006
• YOUTH-an exhibition of regional emerging artists: University Hall Gallery (UC), Cincinnati, Ohio, 2005
• Terrestrial Domains: Manifest Research Gallery and Creative Drawing Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2005
• Holiday Show: Gallery Zaum, Ft. Thomas Kentucky, 2005
• First Annual Guild Members Exhibition: Kennedy Heights Arts Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2004
• Transitions: Gallery Salveo, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2004
• Face to Face: The Foundation Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2003
• Exposure: Media Bridges, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2003
• Preoccupied: SSNOVA(now Mockabee), Cincinnati, Ohio, 2002
2010 - present
2010 - present
Art Academy of Cincinnati 2012 - present
Adjunct Professor of Fine Art
CINCINNATI ZOO AND BOTANICAL GARDENS (Cincinnati, Ohio) 2002 – 2012
Supervisor Exhibits & Painting (2005 – 2012)
Exhibit Artist (2002 – 2005)
• Developed the visual identity for major elements that distinguishes the Cincinnati Zoo in its attention to guest experience and native habitat specific animal exhibits.
• Contributed content for published quarterly trade magazine .
• Researched flora and geology of animal’s native environment as well as the art, culture and history of the people groups that they impacted. Applied this knowledge to create more thematically rich exhibits and a more accurate displays.
• Organized and standardized records, materials, and techniques for all painting applications throughout the park.
• Researched and developed techniques for new materials reducing costs, downtime as well as improving animal and worker safety and supporting the zoo’s goals.
• Managed multifunctioning subcontractors on key new exhibits and renovations, developing effective working relationships and acting as liaison connecting with upper management.
• Supervised an in house team of exhibit artists and painters (both seasonal-part time staff and union employees).
• Direetly produced artistic elements for major exhibits.
• Supervised and performed regular maintenance of existing exhibits and other visual elements
• Generated and refined concepts as part of the Design team that honed ideas under a cross disciplinary lens. (including interpretive programing) to ensure all the included elements complimented one another and supported the zoo’s goals.
• Resolved problems in existing exhibits, which lead to improved guest experience and sense of pride for employees
• Utilized Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator to flesh out designs for review and improvement
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
INSTRUCTOR- MANIFEST GALLERY AND CREATIVE RESEARCH CENTER (Cincinnati, Ohio)
CO-OWNER- HAPPY CHICKS BAKERY (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Painting Emphasis – The Art Academy of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Permanent Public Collection
The Greater Cincinnati Foundation: Foundation Gallery
Aeqai: Interviewed by Jerry Stein for Article: The Feet Girl: November 2009
American Artist Magazine-Drawing: Work Featured in Article, Summer 2007
Manifest Press: Drawn From Life: Art included in print exhibit: The Open Figure Sessions - volume 10, 2006
Manifest National Drawing Annual: Art included in print exhibit: 2005 exhibition-in-print
Manifest Press: Art included in print exhibit: Terrestrial Domains-volume 1, 2005
Portfolio Day Poster: Image “Points of Connection” used for Art Academy of Cincinnati, 2002